Saturday, October 6, 2012 - 10:00 am
Riverside Golf and Country Club
Every fall a group of women gather and raise thousands of dollars to support the counseling needs of low-income mothers and their children. The needs are great:
- Depression is the leading cause of disability in women.
- More than 152,000 children live below the federal poverty line.
- Nearly 1 in 3 women will suffer from domestic violence, 40% of whom will become homeless.
This year, the theme is "Walk a Mile in Her Shoes." We'll highlight the journeys taken by our clients, and some other remarkable women.
The Circle of Strength is a formidable energy for good, a challenge to injustice, poverty, and abuse. It is a springboard into dreams that birth strong families and a strong future for our children. Last year, we raised nearly $85,000 to pay for counseling and medication management. Join us this year to help!
The women of Circle of Strength are excited to welcome the Rev. Dr. Marilyn Sewell for the keynote talk. Marilyn is an accomplished minister, speaker and writer. She is the editor of two volumes of women's poetry and one of women's essays. She is the subject of the documentary, "Raw Faith," an intimate and revealing film following her retirement after 17 years leading the largest Unitarian Universalist congregation in the US.
The Center provides poor, uninsured, and underinsured single women and their children with:
- Individual and family counseling
- Community connections (jobs, education, financial and legal support)
- Effective parenting and life skills
- Supportive environment for change
- School consultation
- Practical financial and career workshops
For more information on the Circle of Strength, email or call Erin Peters at email@example.com or 503-253-0964.
- Carol and Jerry Bitz
- Spencer Family Foundation
- Natalie and Oz Osburn
- Janice Romano P.C.
- Northwest Lawfirm
- Pacific Residential Mortgage
- Providence Health & Services
- Danna Brothers-Elmer’s
- Meadows Group Inc., Realtors
- St. Theresa Council-Knights of Columbus
Event printing provided by Stevens IS